What to do when it's time to move
30-60 Days Before the Move:
- Sell, give away, or discard anything you do not want to move.
- Return all the items you have borrowed.
- Collect all the items you have lent.
- Make airline and hotel reservations if necessary.
- Prepare a room by room inventory of everything you will move.
- Write down the model and serial numbers of all appliances.
- Notify the post office of your change of address. Visit the United States Postal Service website to obtain the proper form.
- Notify your insurance company that you are moving.
- Arrange to disconnect telephone, water, and electricity from your old location on the day after your move.
- Arrange to have the telephone, water, and electricity connected at your new home the day of your move.
- Arrange to have appliances, chandeliers, and other electrical objects disconnected (water, electricity, and gas).
- Collect all valuable documents, make copies of each one, and place the originals in a safe location. The copies should be placed in another location. These important documents include birth and marriage certificates, medical records, military records, school records, deeds, wills, passports, insurance binders, vehicle registrations, and anything that would be difficult or impossible to replace.
- Give the moving company the exact address to where you will be moving, indicate the major intersections, and if needed, provide them with a rough map.
1-10 Days Before the Move:
- Pack suitcases with the personal items you will need until the move is completed and you will have had time to unpack.
- Make a list of the items you will take with you in your car. If possible, place them together in one room.
- Make labels clearly marked DO NOT MOVE for the items that the movers will not be moving. For your own peace of mind, place them all together in one room.
The Day of the Move:
- Pack toiletries and other personal items.
- Put the items you will be taking with you in your car in the trunk of the car and lock it.
- Be around the movers: they may have questions that only you can answer.
- Get copies of any papers you sign.
- When the loading is complete, walk around each room to make sure that nothing has been left behind.
- When you talk to us, please write down pertine